Cantonese frequently assign the following definitions, which may differ in other forms of Chinese:
- 一 sure
- 二 easy
- 三 live
- 四 - considered unlucky since the pronunciation of 4 ( sì ) sounds like the word for death ( sǐ ).
- 五 - the self, me, myself, nothing, never
- 六 - easy and smooth, all the way.
- 七 - a slang/vulgar word in cantonese.
- 八 - sudden fortune, prosperity
- 九 - long in time, a slang/vulgar word in cantonese
Some lucky number combinations include:
168 - road of prosperity or to be prosperous together - many premium-pay telephone numbers in China begin with this number. Many businesses also prefer to have this number as part of their names.
518 - I will prosper, other variations include: 5189 (I will prosper for a long time), 516289 (I will get on a long, smooth prosperous road) and 5918 (I will soon prosper)
888 - prosperity x3.
1314 - whole life time.