Every year, this great day falls on the third day of the bright half of Hindu month Vaishakha.
'Akshaya’ is a Sanskrit term, which means ‘never diminishing’; and ‘Tritiya’ means ‘the third day’. It is believed that any spiritual activity (including meditation, chanting, donation and different forms of worship) performed on this day stays with the person forever.
Akshay Tritiya brings luck and success to the life of the believer. In order to make the inflow of wealth continuous, people also buy gold and precious jewelry.
The auspicious day of AkshayaTritiya is governed by the Lord Vishnu. People born on the day of Akshay Tritiya shine like stars in the world.
On this auspicious day
- Perform meritorious deeds (Punya Karma), like:
- Snana (ritual bath)
- Dana (donation)
- Japa (chanting)
- Tapa (penance)
- New relationships can be made on this auspicious day.
- You may make commitments on this day.
- Akshay Tritiya is considered very auspicious for spiritual activities.
What one should not to do on Akshaya Tritiya?
- Don’t perform Upnayana (wearing sacred thread or something like that).
- Don’t perform Udhyapan (ending of fasts)
- House construction should not be initiated and if running already then should be avoided on the day of Akshaya Tritiya.
- Don’t make the first entry to the house on this day.
- Avoid travelling on the day of Akshaya Tritiya.
- Planting a new tree is also prohibited.